Lately I've been teaching James some language. In Montessori they teach letters by the sounds which prepares the child to read sooner instead of trying to transfer which letter it is to which sound. In general, you're skipping a step by not learning the alphabet letter names first.
First I introduced the letter sound "m" with the sand paper letter and then had him do it. Afterwards I placed (after showing him myself first) the pointer finger in sugar on a cookie sheet tray (because that's what I had). I had a few objects to show him that "m" can be for many things. He loved the monkey so we did our art project out of that.
Note: "m" is one of the first letters you learn in Montessori because a child can form it the easiest. The first group of letters you learn help you to create actual words.
Sand Paper letters look like this, if you're curious
I loved the activities and things I found online to help my lesson out, if you're interested, here was some fun places that started with the letter sound, "m"
Coloring paper with "m" sounds
http://www.education.com/files/144301_144400/144392/coloring-alphabet-m.pdf
More Coloring papers for other sounds
http://www.education.com/worksheet/article/coloring-alphabet-m/
Our Art Project
http://www.dltk-teach.com/rhymes/monkeys/mask.htm
Template for the Monkey Plate Art Project
http://www.dltk-teach.com/t.asp?b=m&t=http://www.dltk-kids.com/members/images/cplatemonkey.gif
James wanted to keep going because he loved it so much. Amazing, after how long I've known Montessori now, it still fascinates me how much even a 2 1/2 year old can desire it. Overall I think we ended up sitting down together doing "m" sounds and activities for an hour or two. We only kept going because he was ready and taking it all in. If he wasn't we would've stopped wherever we were in the lesson and tried again another time with the same letter sound, "m".
Successful Day :)

No comments:
Post a Comment