Hello Everyone!
Our story begins in Rexburg Idaho, on BYU-I campus.
We had never met before and were both first time goers to Efy (an LDS camp). He was from Utah at the time and I was from Ririe, about 20 mins away from Rexburg area. During the week of efy the director, Kory Kunz, had anncounced and challanged all the young men to take the girls trays in the cafeteria at all times during the entire week. Whoever took the most trays would get an award at the end of the the week; as I and my girlfriend heard this news we were very determined to do otherwise! :) Little did we knowthat another young mans intention was to do just that, get the award! :)
Later that evening in the cafeteria my girlfriend and I were about to arise to sneek our trays past any young men when a guy turned, grabbed my tray and said, "Op! I got that!" and was gone. My girlfriend then asked, "who was that???!" my only reply about the tall, blonde guy was, "I don't know but he was sure cute!" :)The same young man continued to grab my tray the remainder of the week. Everytime I would try to get it past him I would fail and he would succeed again! lol Finally it came to a point where I was half way to the tray drop off when he caught me. I was determined to win this time and said a flat out "no" to his asking to take it. He smiled and took the tray, I tried to grab it but it went....higher... and higher...and higher in the air until I couldn't reach it! Now I was 5'13" at that point in my life and all I knew about his height was that he was TALL! Tall enough to intemidate me with putting something so high in the air not even I could reach it! lol He won....sadly but truly. lol :)
We would always be dancing at all the dances and what not thinking we were the same age until one dance he had asked me how old I was and I said, "14 1/2, my Birthday is as the end of this week so I'll be 15". The expression on his face was a little different after that so then I asked, "what abou you?" he replied, "Just turned 18 this past April" Wow! That was a suprise to both of us!Ya so pretty much I was thinking, man, I'm so outta luck! Dangit! He was super awesome too! And on his part he was thinking, "Man, that's like a felony! ...but, it could be worth it.."lol Well, so the end of Efy came near and I really wanted his email address, it just so happens that he came running up to me and asked me for my email address and phone number! lol I said, sure! Only if you promise to take a picture with me! Here's the picture:
After Efy we kept in rough contact. Every once in a while I would be thinking, huh, I wonder how Justin is? so then I'd go check my email and he would already had sent me an email. We saw eachother once in Utah after Efy and talked on the phone a couple times with many emails back an forth but obviously we could never go anywhere with it because of age differance so we just stayed friends. Then one day he was gone. No more emails or anything. I wrote maybe 1 -2 more emails but recieved nothing in return. Then it hit me, he went on his mission. I had no way to communicate with him, no idea where he went. My only feeling was that I was sad because I felt that I lost my friend...
Time went on, I was still in high school and would go on many trips and plays and other activities but once in awhile that same thought would come to my mind, "huh, I wonder how Justin Karoly is?" Finally I pushed that thought aside thinking I was crazy for even thinking the thought since I was never going to see him again. With that, I decided to go out with a boy in school and get on with my life. Even then the thought would always come back around once in awhile, almost like a suggestion. Finally after a yr and a half of going out with this one guy I felt as though I really needed to break it off with him completely and I didn't know why. Confused, a week after my 18th birthday, I broke it off with him.
Six months later finally getting over my previous boyfriend, I recieve a 4x6 card at Christmas time. This was what it said, "Dear Alicia, I know Elder Reed up here! He's a pretty awesome guy :) Anyways I just thought I would drop a note and say Merry Christmas and Happy New Years! - Elder Karoly" There was also a picture of two missionaries sitting on a couch with a christmas tree behind them. I was like, WHAT THE HECK?!? 2 years and he finally writes me?!????! With that I put the letter aside and didn't really know what to think...the return address was Oklahoma (I don't know why I remembered this but he moved to Oklahoma just before he left) then it hit me. He's coming home! I looked up Elder Reed (who was from my Stake) and found out that Elder Karoly and he were both serving 10 hours away from me in the Canada Calgary mission. 2 years and he was 10 hours away from me the entire time! lol wow! crazy!
Time went on, I was still in high school and would go on many trips and plays and other activities but once in awhile that same thought would come to my mind, "huh, I wonder how Justin Karoly is?" Finally I pushed that thought aside thinking I was crazy for even thinking the thought since I was never going to see him again. With that, I decided to go out with a boy in school and get on with my life. Even then the thought would always come back around once in awhile, almost like a suggestion. Finally after a yr and a half of going out with this one guy I felt as though I really needed to break it off with him completely and I didn't know why. Confused, a week after my 18th birthday, I broke it off with him. After that relization I didn't even think about him for a month or so! lol For many months my sister had been trying to get me to join facebook and so here it is the second week of January and I decide to get a facebook. One week later I get a request from a Justin Karoly to be my friend! The moment I accepted the request he happened to be on and we were talking on the chat! wow!
We hit it off really well! Well enough that he ended up coming to see me in Idaho up on BYU-I campus! It was so nerve racking to get ready that morning I tell ya! But nonetheless I met him and once again we hit it off! It was the most perfect day ever! It ended with him picking me up and spinning me around in the parking lot! Life was good! He visited family down in Utah and I came and visited him before he left :)
Of course he eventually had to go back to Oklahoma where he lived. We tried the long distance relationship thing and it didn't work. 2 months later we broke it off. We both felt that there were things that needed to be done first before we got really serious and if we were meant for eachother then something would happen and we'd be brought back together again.
Well, as we went back to our normal lives, things started landing in our hands... Like an internship at a school in Idaho Falls:
Or a nice job that fell into Justin's hands:
(This is a picture of he and his boss outside of work)
Or friends that I was blessed to meet:
Or friends he was blessed to meet:
During that time we dated other people but we both had that feeling of, "huh, I wonder how Alicia" or "Justin is doing?" And the moment I'd find myself falling in love with another person he would always give me a call in the exact moment and my heart was back in Oklahoma again... Time passed and november came around and we both realized that we still had feelings for eachother, enough that Justin moved up New Years Eve to Utah where he was fortunate to transfer his job to. Every weekend we would meet up with eachother until on January 15 we were engaged!
We were later married March 27, 2010 in the Idaho Falls Temple
P.S He won the award at efy for taking the most trays! And got the girl! :)







4 comments:
You two are soo cute! I'm bummed we couldn't be at the wedding! We're are road tripping to Utah in July though and thought we might stop by your folks house on the way. If you two are around I would love to meet Justin! Take care Cuz and give your fam a hug for me!
What an absolutely darling love story.. thanks for sharing! So happy that you two found (and re-found, and re-found) each other :)
Cute blog Alicia & Justin! Ours is:
http://tandphegsted.blogspot.com/ although I haven't updated it recently. I'm glad you got all the details down for posterity!
Great job!! Loved reading your story even though I knew it already. You are so cute and right for each other. I am blessed to be a part of your lives. Love you both.
ELIZ
Post a Comment